After the floor was sanded and cleaned the next step was to stain it. The original plan was to keep the floor close to the original color, that mid-red tone was wonderful. The floor however had a few badly damaged spots. There was a dark spot in the middle of the living room, the laundry room had lots of damage and upstairs in front of the door leading to the deck was dark showing water damage. We adapted and went with a darker color. We ended up getting the Wood Classic brand of stain from Sherwin-Williams in a their Walnut Wainscot color. Below is a link to the product:
Note the stain we used is an oil based stain. This was done on purpose and actually one of the reasons why we went with Sherwin-Williams. We wanted that extra durability that comes with an oil based stain. Wolfy in his past life as a painter felt more comfortable working with a product he was familiar with on our hardwoods. After all trying to re-stain the whole house is a lot more difficult than trying to re-stain the deck or repaint your walls.
The stain was applied using a sheep skin pad (attached to the end of our long painting rod). We then put down two coats of polyurethane using a 8 inch roller on the end of the same stick. Hindsight looking back I would have put down at least two more coats.
But as far as I’m concerned it looks pretty darn good!