On a trip to Menard’s (my all-time favorite store, I think) we found the pendant light we have been looking for. Over our kitchen sink we had a dim and very much not our style fluorescent light hanging. My biggest concern with this light (other than it just being ugly) was how little light it actually threw out.
The first step was to unplug the old light and then figure out how to take it down. This involved taking the screws off the wooden box that encased it. Wolfy then removed the bulbs and the cover to get access to the screws that were holding the fixture to the ceiling.
Once the old light was removed it was time to wire up the new light. It came with several extensions to determine how low the light would hang, we only used one as we wanted it hanging in the middle of the upper window.
Because the old light wasn’t hardwired in, we couldn’t wire the new light into the old box. Instead, we needed to add a plug. I unwired the plug and wire from the old fixture and decided it needed a coat of paint to match the new fixture and to cover the old brown color.
I used painters tape to cover the prongs and the exposed wire at the end. Then I taped the wire so it was hanging outside and used a can of trusty Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint to give it a coat of paint. Looks all pretty!
Once the cord was dry, we wired it to the light, and then tested it!
Because we were not going into an existing box, Wolfy used 3 inch construction screws to mount the light to the ceiling. Plugged it in, and voila – light!
Previous Kitchen Posts: