Once our siding was replaced, we noticed how bad the rest of the front of the house looked. The first step was to remove the old timbers that held back the flower beds and replace it with stone. The next step was to address the cracked concrete step in front of the house. There were a few things to do. We could either patch it, cover it in more concrete, or build a deck over it. The deck option was the one we were both most comfortable with.
Once we got all of our supplies, we got to work.
To support the deck, we anchored metal posts into the existing concrete using a hammer drill. This took way longer than anticipated.
Two posts were also dug in. The 4 x 4 posts that go into these holes were also set in concrete.
The 4 x 4s were cut to size and we assembled the facing boards before putting them in the holes. Using dirt and gravel, we made sure they were at the correct level.
The ledger board was then attached from one end of the deck to the other.
Then we added our supports.
Once the majority of support boards were installed, we called it a night.
The next morning, we were back at it, attaching more facing boards.
Then we could start working on the stringers for our steps.
We may have attached more stringers than necessary, but we didn’t want the steps to sag at any point in the future.
Next, the deck boards were put down. Looks pretty good.
Each deck board needed two screws into each support. Lots of work, but needed.
The last deck board needed to be ripped to fit.
Much better than the old cracked concrete.
Other Outside Projects:
I linked up here