Our Wolf Den

Honey, I Have an Idea!


2 Comments

Painting the Back Fence

It took us a week before we tackled painting the fence. Bright and early Saturday morning Wolfy and I awoke and headed out into the yard. Armed with 10 gallons of Cabot Solid Stain in Cape Cod Gray and our beloved paint sprayer we started our project.

We were apprehensive; anyone who has paint fencing can tell you it takes a long, long time. Fortunately the paint sprayer allowed us to paint the inside of the fence in 2 ½ hour. I will admit I called and bragged to my parents about my fence painting speed.

The process I have found that works the best for us is a quick coat going side to side.

Once that is dry (which didn’t take long, this wood was thirsty) a heaver coat going up and down only concentrating on one or two boards depending on the width of our sprayer.

It took 8 gallons but the fence was done.

It turns out however that the paint I had originally painted the upper part of the fence with was not the same color as the Cabot stain. The original paint was a brighter bluer gray…

While the Cabot Cape Cod Gray is more of a brown tone.

I like it, I probably wouldn’t have picked it out but it looks good. I like how in the distance it is a softer color, it is not a hard color that drawls your eye the way it would have been if we had went with white, or even the way it was before painted.

We still have to paint the outside of the fence, but I’m going to leave that project for another day, along with taking out the white posts that mark the old yard.

front deck paint Privacy Panels on the Pergola perfect pergola lights back deck painted garage fron deck door knocker outdoor wedding slider-seating-makeover seemless siding


2 Comments

Task 3: Staining the floor

100_1886

After the floor was sanded and cleaned the next step was to stain it.  The original plan was to keep the floor close to the original color, that mid-red tone was wonderful.  The floor however had a few badly damaged spots.  There was a dark spot in the middle of the living room, the laundry room had lots of damage and upstairs in front of the door leading to the deck was dark showing water damage.  We adapted and went with a darker color. We ended up getting the Wood Classic brand of stain from Sherwin-Williams in a their Walnut Wainscot color.  Below is a link to the product:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/wood_classics_interior_oil_stain/

Note the stain we used is an oil based stain.  This was done on purpose and actually one of the reasons why we went with Sherwin-Williams.  We wanted that extra durability that comes with an oil based stain.   Wolfy in his past life as a painter felt more comfortable working with a product he was familiar with on our hardwoods.  After all trying to re-stain the whole house is a lot more difficult than trying to re-stain the deck or repaint your walls.

The stain was applied using a sheep skin pad (attached to the end of our long painting rod).  We then put down two coats of polyurethane using a 8 inch roller on the end of the same stick.  Hindsight looking back I would have put down at least two more coats.

But as far as I’m concerned it looks pretty darn good!

100_3732 100_3736 100_3738

 100_3743100_3744 100_3746 100_3747